5 Ways To Care For Your Sun Damaged Skin Everyday
If you’ve read our other blogs, then you probably already know that whether we choose to accept it or not, our skin is being damaged by the sun everyday. While the intensity of damage may differ from person to person and from situation to situation, the damage is being done somewhere. But don’t sweat it, at Sunday Skin we’re here to help you look after your skin so that it can stop fearing the sun and learn to love it (if you don’t already).
Keep reading to learn more about how you can care for your sun-damaged skin everyday. And if you’ve been paying attention to anything we’ve been saying, then you know that’s a trick statement - because your skin needs to be cared for everyday whether you’re “in the sun” or not.
- Exfoliate often: In order to get those dead skin cells out of the way and make way for new ones, it is crucial that you exfoliate often. Experts recommend using a gentle scrub at least once or twice a week to keep your skin looking fresh, bright and healthy. One of the main causes of dull, tired and uneven skin is the backlog of dead skin cells that have been damaged by the sun. So if you want your products to seep into your skin effectively, you must make exfoliating a habit (if it isn’t already). A good place to start would be with our gentle No Filter Face Scrub or Airbrush Body Scrub which have all the brightening, hydrating and exfoliating properties to leave your skin feeling smooth and refreshed in the gentlest way possible.
- Use a Vitamin C Serum Along with your sunscreen: Do you team up your sunscreen with Vitamin C serum? If you don’t, you’re going to thank us forever. This unbeatable formula is the dynamite solution to caring for your sun-damaged skin. While using both individually is great for your skin, using them together works like magic. While a broad spectrum sunscreen helps to prevent further sun-damage, Vitamin C supercharges the sunscreen’s potency. Vitamin C acts as the best antioxidant to treat your sun-damaged skin by neutralising free radical damage and boosting the production of new healthy collagen. So tomorrow morning, before you start your day - make sure to layer your vitamin C serum under your sunscreen and say goodbye to fine lines, dark spots and wrinkles. To give your skin a boost like no other, use our Rise & Shine Overnight Face Serum and before you go to bed and wake up glowing like never before.
Pro tip: Look out for products that have ATIP AKA - the most potent form of Vitamin C. Ascorbyl tetraisopalmitate, also known as ATIP is a highly stable, oil soluble derivative of vitamin C that helps prevent pro-aging environmental damage from external factors like prolonged sun-damage and helps improve collagen production - giving you tighter, firmer, youthful skin.
- Rejuvenate your skin with peptides & retinol: After a long day out, your skin needs a whole lot of love and vitamins. Give your tired skin a boost with some Retinol which is a Vitamin A derivative that has the power to reverse sun-damage, smoothen out fine lines and wrinkles and amp up collagen production. If you’ve never used Retinol before, try it by applying it every alternate night till your skin gets used to it. If you find that the Retinol for some reason isn’t working for your skin, or your skin is too sensitive for something so harsh - choose a peptide based repair cream instead.
- Don’t forget about the eyes: Thinnest and weakest, the skin around your eyes is one of the most sun-damaged and neglected spots. For bright, youthful skin remember to use an eye cream every night before you go to bed. UV radiation can contribute to macular degeneration, cataracts and eyelid skin cancers from a health POV and dark, droopy and tired lids also are a dead give-away of fatigue, stress and lack of self care. So pat on a lightweight eye cream under the eyes and for an extra boost of moisture and keep looking fresh for even the most stressful days.
- Use an at-home microcurrent device: We’re sure you’ve seen all your favourite influencers using that cute looking bear-like device and maybe you already know what it’s for, but if you don’t - it’s a microcurrent device. With small shocks, these devices emit a low level of electrical energy that boost collagen production. So if you don’t mind the splurge, invest in a good quality micro-current device and give your skin the gift of it being tight, bright and radiant even after the longest days in the sun.
Those were a few tips on how you can care for your sun-damaged skin everyday. As you’ve probably gathered, the sun strips your skin of a whole lot of nutrients. This means that at the end of a long day “in the sun” or not, your skin needs much love and attention - making way for one of our favourite concepts - after sun care. The biggest misconception that we at Sunday Skin are trying to debunk is that after sun care is a mythical concept reserved only for sunny holidays when you buy a pack of sunblock and get a complimentary bottle of “after sun lotion”. But the truth is there’s a lot more to this category than you probably realise. We’ll be back to spill all the tea on after-sun care soon. Till then, have a great day and let the sun shine!